I chose FC3 (Fedora Core) for the install, and now I'm sorry that I did.

I setup an asterisk server on FC3 without any problems using with some help from the wiki.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Fedora+Core+3

It doesn't require a kernel compile, just a few conf file changes and a different make command when
building the zaptel drivers, because of the 2.6 kernel udev system

I'm not so interested in notifying these guys at lists.sourceforge.net, since I'm only interested in running asterisk. Once I commit to actually using linux I might participate in their forum, but not yet :)

So ... the question: What flavor of linux does asterisk actually run on "Out the box?"

I'm not scared to compile asterisk, but I'm not at all interested in recompiling a linux kernel.