Comments within:

If you stick with fxsks and add busydetect=no and callprogress=no
you'll find those random disconnects go away. They did for me.

I just tried that and I still got the disconnection so I changed it back
to fxsls but left those 2 lines in zapata.conf for good measure!

Yes. The echo drove me and my parents mad. It was the same issues as
you are describing. Echo at near and far end and the caller on the
other end says you're quiet.

Ah, that's good news that you had the same problem and fixed it. I just tried 2.0 and 2.0 and still got the echo though :(

The thing is I didn't completely fix it. Our calls usually use our main BT line, but I use the NTL line for calling in. The echo is substantially lower (pretty much unhearable) on the NTL line compared to the BT Line, so you have a fairly good chance (hopefully) of getting a decent solution.

Which NTL exchange are you on, out of interest. I'm in Teesside on the
stockton ubr.

I'd like a little anonymity but I'm in the Midlands.

Through a number of mobile phone calls using T-Mobile free minutes to a
phone in another room (with my little brother as a testing guinea-pig).

So you just kept randomly chaning them until it sounded the best?

Basically. It was something to distract from exams.

I'm using two X100P clone cards (actually 101P's). Supposedly these
clone cards are exactly the same as a Digium X100P but I haven't ever
compared them.

So is that a modem with the MD3200 chipset? (which is what i'm using) or
is there other clones around?

I'm not exactly sure on the clone specifics. Mine are identified in lspci as:

00:0a.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface
00:0c.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface

was significantly better if the cable used to connect the X100P to the
telephone point consists of a BTPlug to RJ11Socket adaptor and a cable
with two RJ11 connectors on each end. Make sure that only the two
central pins are used on the RJ11 connectors. On one of my cards at
least this drastically reduced echo.

humm, interesting. So your rj11->rj11 cable only has 2 pins, the center ones?

Yes. I'm not an expert in why but it really reduced the echo! It could have been an initially fault cable though.

Out of interest, what are you using for your internal phones? Sipura
ATA?

Yes - an SPA-3000 with a BT Converse and some DECT cordless attached.
The SPA-3000 is good because if the power/network dies, the phones still
work because it bridges them to the pstn line.

OK. Here is something completely different for you to try:

In the web interface of your Sipura go to Regional and change the FXS Port Impedeance to 370+620||310nF. This is the correct impedance setting for the UK and improved echo problems I had which only affected the BT Studio 100 dect phones we have.

How did you know/guess I was using a Sipura?

I'd like to say I knew, but it was just a guess. To be honest I was just hoping because I have an SPA-2000 and knew about the above setting!

Why don't you use the PSTN line on the SPA-3000 instead of the X100P? People are reporting much better results with the SPA-3000's PSTN port than with an X100P (in the UK).

Phil.