As far as I can see the problem is with the Read() function.

When this function times out due to no user input, the extension is terminated
and the call is hung up. Maybe this was the intended behaviour, but I can't see
how its of any use.. Surely this is not the most desirable behaviour ?

Please anyone who can shed some light ? or offer a workaround ?