Hmmm :-)

OK - grab a current RedHat Fedora Core 3 set of ISO's, install - about 2 hours... Do the up2date gig - time depends on your network connection. Do a cvs based asterisk install - about 30 minutes (more than happy to share the scripts to do this). Total elapsed time <24 hours max. This doesn't mean you'll understand what you did - but it isn't rocket science....

If RedHat isn't interesting then go to the local store and buy Slackware, Debian (Novell?), etc - lots of choices....

The 'hard' part will be understanding the configuration of asterisk itself - and that is covered by masses of info on the wiki, folks here who will share, etc.

Email me directly - I'll be happy to try and assist...