On 30 Jan 2005, at 14:02, Paul Tyreman wrote:

Hi,

This might not be a very popular question, but I was just wondering if anyone have ever tried to run Asterisk on a Windows computer using Microsoft Virtual Server (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/ default.mspx).

I am told that you can run Linux on a virtual server using this software, so in theory it should be possible.

I run a windows based domain, but am also keep run Asterisk. I could use a different computer, but that would use more electricity. So I was thinking on upgrading my server to the latest specs, and trying to run Asterisk on Windows 2003 using this software.

Another way to go would be to spend your upgrade money on one of these:

https://www.rpanetwork.co.uk/catalogue/basket.rhtm? add=1&productID=180544&pi=1
It's a low powered server which runs asterisk quite nicely.
Installed one with an E1 card last week and it seems fine so far.
I had RPA load Suse instead of OpenBSD for better asterisk support.

You _might_ get away with running Asterisk in a virtual server, but I bet
you'd suffer poor voice quality. Extra layers are bound to introduce latency
and Asterisk hates that :-)

If anyone has managed this, I would love to hear from you.

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/