Peter Svensson wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Alex Barnes wrote:

Also I was under the impression that in Europe calls are charged as soon
as you start ringing and not on pickup (this may be out of date as its
been a while since my school skiing trip ;-P )

Not in all countries at least. Sweden has always had the charge start only on answer. I expect most of Europe to use a similar convention. At least I have never encountered a payphone in Europe that consumed my coins before the line was answered.

Peter

Not in any country I know of, except for cellphone calls to China. A call is not normally charged until it is answered. If it is never answered, no charge is incurred.

Chinese cell phones are always answered immediately. Not only is it costly, but services which try to divert on no answer doesn't work properly.

Regards,
Steve