I get the following error when trying to compile asterisk 1.05 on red hat 9.

Is this the tarball available for download from the asterisk website? You might try CVS instead - try the CVS HEAD release:

# cd /usr/src
# export CVSROOT=:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/cvsroot
# cvs login           - the password is anoncvs.

# cvs checkout zaptel libpri asterisk

Or, if that doesn't do it, you can try CVS Stable

# cvs checkout -r v1-0 zaptel libpri asterisk asterisk-addons asterisk-sounds

When you compile, make sure you do a "make clean", first, then "make install"

If neither of these works, I might suggest trying a different OS - Red Hat 9 is no longer updated. If you're attached to red hat, you might try Tao Linux or Whitebox Linux - both are essentially Red Hat Enterprise, but they are free and both provide updates (security and otherwise).

-DASTMODDIR=\"/usr/lib/asterisk/modules\"
-DASTAGIDIR=\"/var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin\"

   -DBUSYDETECT_MARTIN      `ls *.c`

: invalid option

Usage: /bin/sh [GNU long option] [option] ...

*** You don't have mpg123 installed. You're going to need ***

*** it if you want MusicOnHold ***

BTW: You can get mpg123 here:

http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~hippm/mpg123.html

Download the 0.59r version.