I'm not sure what happens when you do a fresh compile and install of OpenSSH, but every distro I've ever worked with
(Red Hat, Gentoo, Slackware, Vector, Tao, Yellow Dog, Debian, Knoppix, SuSe, Linspire, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, OS X) has allowed root logins via SSH by default. Maybe they're changing that on newer versions of some distros. I dunno.

I'll call bullshit on that. I know for a fact that Debian does NOT allow
root logins except from console. Hell Debian isn't allowing root logins
from X anymore due to the likely hood for you to try and use root for
more than administration.

I hesitated before sending this, as I have been flamed before for being a beginner. but I am newish to linux/asterisk, and I am running an ssh server. It is still running with default settings, (I dont know yet how/where to change it), and I CAN logon remotely as root. (Haven't figured out how to 'su' yet !)

This is using the Rapid Xorcomm v 1.0 cd, which I believe (may be wrong) is
based on a very recent version of Debian ?
Perhaps xorcom have changed the default setting ?

-- Clive

Email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel     : 08444844790
   Alt  : 08450043366