Peter Svensson wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Rob Scott wrote:

Why is it that Asterisk can't cope with silence suppression?
All the clients seem to be able to but not Asterisk.
What would be needed to get it to work with silence suppression?
What is the problem?

Asterisk clocks outgoing rtp data to a device from the incoming rtp stream from the same device. This is a known limitation and there has been some talk about implementing an internal clocking system.

In addition, Asterisk should generate comfort noise when the rtp stream is quiet due to silence supression (which is signalled with a CN packet). Perhaps the new jitter buffer will be able to handle this?
Peter,
I think we do generate comfort noice in CVS head, even though the
clocking is still a major problem.

/O