On Feb 25, 2005, at 7:55 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
If you understand what T.38 is you will understand which problems it addresses (summary: it is important for solving some problems, but nothing solves them all). Most people who post about T.38 don't actually have much of a clue about it.

I think the biggest hurdle still for T.38 is lost packets and timing issues. In other words, the realtime-ness (?) of it is a huge problem. IMHO the whole thing's a bust until we all get QoS across the public network. And let's face it, if you have a private IP network with QoS you really don't need T.38. So I'm a bit lost as to how T.38 is really a solution to much of anything at this point yet the hype would have one conclude otherwise.

As for Asterisk not having to know much about T.38...well, that's only true if the only support that will be available (on the Asterisk end) is via an analog adapter that supports T.38. If you want to hookup a fax machine to a port on a channel bank or a zap card then you're going to be out of luck unless the zaptel driver supports T.38.

-mark

--
Mark Eissler, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mixtur Interactive, Inc. [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.mixtur.com