I haven't seen any "duplex" handhelds that I can remember (ther must be some).
The repeater would most likely be "duplex". Many repeaters are built from either two under-dash mobile radios or the old GE MasterII units
The question you really want to ask is if they can operate on different transmit and receive frequencies. This is normally referred to as "semi-duplex".

http://www.shipmanenterprises.com/freetalk-xl.htm
http://www.antennasystems.com/midland_radio.html

I've looked at the dingotel & 446 stuff.
Looks like you just need a handheld with a good VOX.

And, since GMRS regs allow "wireline control", I suppose that as long as you never got to the PSTN, you would be ok. Read the regs and decide for yourself.

James Taylor