On 5 Mar 2005, at 06:58, Remco Barende wrote:

Hi list!

While looking for the Snom 190 I found another phone, the Elmeg IP 290 (www.elmeg.de).

Looking at the pictures & the specs they seem to be very similar beasts but the firmware is supposedly not interchangeable.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2, do they work with Asterisk?

The weird thing is that Elmeg has similar phones with the Snom look but they are ISDN only (no voip) while Snom has several other models that are IP. Who's cloning who? I don't want to end up with phones for which firmware support or update will disappear soon while the 'orginal' will continue to be supported?

The way I heard it was that Snom had some trouble with the mechanical
design of their earlier phones so bought the case design in from an existing
ISDN phone maker. I guess that must be Elmeg.

I guess the outer look tells you nothing about the hardware let alone the firmware.

Tim.