I too have heard of people persuading a vonage tech to provide the password to log into and factory reset their device, but I get the impression that it is an uncommon occurrence.. you'd be lucky, basically.

I have an ATA-186 that Vonage unlocked for me. They used to just charge $20 or so (on top of the cancellation fee) to unlock any device that wasn't active. You'll have to get through their first line of support and eventually transferred. They *may* have changed the policy with the linksys boxes, as they couldn't do it when they first came out (I tried). Now that linksys sells an unlocked version they may well be willing though.