Hi list!

I'm working to replace a PBX with group ring indication.

On the current PBX each phone has 3 buttons with a light to identify an incoming call ringing for a certain group. For example if the phone is ringing at sales a led lights up to indicate a call coming in on that group (but that phone is not ringing). Other departments can hear the phone ringing in the other dept. even though it's not their own phone that is ringing.

Can I use the programmable buttons on a Snom phone to achieve a similar thing?

I was thinking of creating a virtual extension for each group (like sales, admin, support etc). For each department I include that extension to 'ring'.

The snom would monitor this extension for incoming unanswered called and people in another dept. can answer the call by just picking up the phone.

Is this possible? Can a virtual extension be created this way and can it be monitored in the way I was thinking of?

This would be an alternative to the groups feature of *, because I don't
think you can use the buttons and lights on the snom phones in the way I
described above.
This method is preferred because with the group function in * you are either ringing every phone in the department driving you crazy when there are many phones, or you have some phones ring and call pickup is more complicated.

Thanks!