Adam Robins wrote:

When an outside callers hits my system, I play them a welcome message
and ask that they enter an extension.  If the extension is invalid, it
tells them so, and asks them to try again.  The relevant logic for this
is:

[extensions]
exten => _2XXX,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN})
;
exten => i,1,Playback,invalid
exten => i,n,Goto(incoming,_NXXNXXXXXX,1)
;

[incoming]
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,1,Answer
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,n,Background(welcome)        ; play welcome msg &
ask for extension
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,n,WaitExten(5)               ; Wait for extension

This works fine, however, there is one special case that I would like to handle differently. If the caller inadvertently presses the # key following the extension, I would like to discard the # and then send the call back onto the stack. I know how to strip the #, but I can't find another command like WaitExten that will reprocess the call as new.

Use Goto. Since you have a pattern of _2XXX if they dial 2XXX# then Asteirsk will process the call as 2XXX and just discard the # since it's not listening for DTMF since it's already hit the Dial.

Same for _NXXNXXXXXX.

--
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain