Here is a web page that I found useful when I ran into the same spandsp patch problem.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1237

I had no experience with patches, but after reading that I was able to update the patch to work with my Makefile.

Matthew Roth
http://voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian

Rich Adamson wrote:

Ive done some searching and seems that installing spandsp on cvs head had
been a pain because of changes on the patch.

Anybody has a howto on installing spandsp on the recent cvs head? And how
they got receiving and sending faxes worked out?

Look closely at the patch file. There are only four or five lines added into the Makefile, and you should be able to see where they fit in to edit those manually.

If you copy/paste the needed lines into the Makefile, make sure you understand where tabs are used verses spaces.