On Apr 21, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Matt Roth wrote:

Our idea is to mount a network drive on a remote machine and save the files created by the Monitor command directly to it. Using this setup, the activities for each call would be separated by machine as follows:

---Asterisk Master Server---
* The Monitor command is executed out of the dialplan.
* The input and output packets are saved to the mounted drive of the Digital Recording Client.

But it seems to me that the load of the Monitor command will remain in the master server. The only thing you are really offloading is the saving of the media stream which should have minimal impact. My concern is that, with a busy installation, issuing too many Monitor commands may "overload" CPU usage and have a direct effect on the quality of the conversations. Are my assumptions wrong?

---Digital Recording Client---
* soxmix is executed to mix the audio together to produce a single WAV file.
* lame is executed to convert the WAV file produced by soxmix into an MP3.
* This may be an unnecessary step if soxmix can produce an MP3 directly.
* The MP3 files are indexed to be easily retrievable by various criteria.
* Directory/file naming conventions, database storage, and custom code will be used here.
* An FTP server will be running to allow access to the MP3s.
* Custom code on the managers' machines will be used to access the database for selecting the MP3s to transfer.
* Archiving is done at off-peak hours.

When you tell the Monitor command to combine the resulting .wav files, that will also be executed in the master server, which should add to its load. Unless you tell the Monitor command NOT to combine the audio files and you run that as a separate "croned" processed in the client server which will also execute lame after soxmix.

Comments?

- Daniel