Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Connecting 2 * Together-Pulling hair out

Personally, if I owned both boxes and had full control of the dialplan on both, I'd stay away from passwords. (but be careful what I say, I'm a hack)

I have a bunch of boxes connected together via IAX and authenticating via RSA. The entries in iax.conf are simple, and dialing across the connection is simple (no passwords in the dialplan) (thanks again Rich for taking the time).

Tim

Here is a sample of iax.conf entries on machine a:

[machineb]
type=user
host=machineb.internal.net
auth=rsa
inkeys=machineb
username=machineb
context=inbound

[machineb]
type=peer
host=machineb.internal.net
auth=rsa
outkey=machinea
username=machinea

And an example dialplan entry to dial an extention on machineb (in the inbound context):

exten => 333,1,Dial(IAX2/machineb/333)

And on machinea, the opposite of machineb:

[machinea]
type=user
host=machinea.internal.net
auth=rsa
inkeys=machinea
username=machinea
context=inbound

[machinea]
type=peer
host=machinea.internal.net
auth=rsa
outkey=machineb
username=machineb

To generate the keys:

on machinea:

astgenkey -n machinea
mv machinea.* /var/lib/asterisk/keys

copy machinea.pub to machineb's /var/lib/asterisk/keys

on machineb:

astgenkey -n machineb
mv machineb.* /var/lib/asterisk/keys

copy machineb.pub to machinea's /var/lib/asterisk/keys

Chris wrote:

I have something similar. Both of my servers are behind a firewall and NAT. You will need to allow UDP 4569 through the firewall for IAX2. If you have NAT you will need to redirect 4569 to the internal server.

  I would suggest using AMP and then looking at IAX_ADDITIONAL.CONF to see how
it's done. You can modify the IAX.CONf because I don't believe AMP rewrites
that file.

  I think the user and passwords are required.   I would suggest using a strong
password or someone may decide to make a few phone calls.   After this you will
need the routing in Extensions.conf to allow calls to be made on this trunk.

  Asterisk will handle the SIP > IAX.    All my clients are SIP and they have
no trouble going over a IAX trunk to other SIP devices on the other server.

This is what my IAX_ADDITIONAL.CONF looks like

SiteA - Dynamic IP
--------------
[boxb-peer]
username=boxa-user
type=peer
trunk=yes
secret=mypassword
host=thehost.dyndns.org

[boxb-user]
type=user
secret=mypassword2
host=thehost.dyndns.org
context=from-internal

---------------
Site b - Static IP
----------------

[boxa-peer]
username=boxb-user
type=peer
trunk=yes
secret=mypassword2
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

[boxa-user]
type=user
secret=mypassword
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
context=from-internal

Regards,

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "mr. barker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:58 PM

Yes trying to connect to boxes together.

One sits outside the internal firewall and is on the inside.

I am using AMP.  However I can just put whatever I need in the custom.conf
sections.
The users agents are SIP .. can SIP call go over a IAX trunk ? if so great.
To create the trunk do I need to use a users name and password ? or ?

I need to have the *box that is behind the firewall to be able to place a
call out through the *box that has a public ip.

Thank you