chawki hammoud wrote:

I installed G729 from Diguim and I was expecting the
sound quality on my i686 machine to be better than
gsm. Compared to gsm,  G729 sounds closer and a little
robotic. Is this what is supposed to be or am I
missing something? I am interested in G729 because the internet in my
country is very expensive and I want to save every bit
possible. I want to use G729 because it takes less
bandwidth for each additional call between two IAX
servers than other codecs.
Why did you expect it to sound better? Its a "high quality for 8kbps" codec. By absolute standards it sucks. GSM is less sophisticated, but running at 13.2kbps it can get away with that, and still sound as good. In fact, if there is lots of background noise GSM sounds rather better.

Regards,
Steve