We are working on finalizing a production release of our PhoneCALL product, a GPL php/smarty configuration GUI for Asterisk: http://www.vecsector.com/phonecall I feel there is nothing wrong with having a web-based configuration utility, if set up correctly. Look at the WRT54G Linksys router, plus other countless devices that use an embedded browser for configurations. It can save a lot of time on training new employees, and syntax issues when starting out. Our goal is to have a GUI that is just as flexible as writing configurations by hand, but not having to write it by hand. ;-)

PhoneCALL is not production ready yet, we are on 2.5-RC4 - but within a week or so, we plan to have a very nice/clean stable version that is production ready. We don't have CAPI support built-in yet, but open for any help anyone would like to lend.

This looks interesting. I am curious as how your view Phonecall compared to AMP.

Well, without trying to start a war - I'll give my view & the purpose of PhoneCALL. ;-) AMP seems like a nice product, and looks to be a all-in-one configuration for a SOHO-type setup.

With PhoneCALL - we are working on creating a highly flexible, scalable interface - with nice, clean code that is written 100% in php/smarty. This will make code management alot easier, and we've made every effort to keep the code well designed so you can write any enhancement to the product that you may need. Not to say we couldn't power a SOHO office, but also adding the ability to scale large enterprise-wide configurations as well. We have a very nice groundwork for a macro/scripting interface, along with a new call routing manager - that attempts to more logical with handling a call.
Here's a quick run-through:
You create an auto attendant menu that plays a greeting file, and assign the following digit actions:
   Press 1  ->   Sends to extension 1021
   Press 2 ->  Goes to menu 'Tech Support'
   Press 3 ->  Goes to Support Queue
   etc...

You create the 'Tech Support' menu that plays a greeting file, and assigns the following digit actions:
   Press 1 ->  Transfers to Level 1 support queue
   Press 2 ->  Transfers to Level 2 support queue
   Press 3 ->   Transfers to Level 3 support queue
etc...

The same principle will apply to PSTN lines:
Incoming call on line 1 -> during normal hours, send to Auto Attendant menu (see above) Incoming call on line 1, matches caller id of '111-555-4444' - send to Tech support level 3 queue Incoming call on line 2, call marketing director extension (2020) during normal hours - calls marketing director cellphone after hours

The same logic is applied to Extensions within the system:
First, build a script to assign to an extension:

   Script:   Extension with Voicemail
   Commands:
               exten =>  s,1,Dial(${ARG1},20)
               exten => s,2,Goto(s-${DIALSTATUS},1)
               exten => s-NOANSWER,1,Voicemail(u${ARG2})
               exten => s-BUSY,1,Voicemail(b${ARG2})
               exten => _s-.,1,Goto(s-NOANSWER,1)
               exten => a,1,VoicemailMain(${ARG2})

Next, Create your extension - and assign a script to handle the extension:

   Extension:  1000   <--- This is ARG1
   Script:   [Extension with Voicemail]
   Voicemail Box:    {ARG2}
         [_] Send voicemail to this extension
               or
            Send voicemail to:   [--drop down of other extensions--]

Now, whenever someone dials '1000' - it will run the 'Extension with Voicemail' script (really an Asterisk Macro). If you ever update this macro, you update all extensions assigned to this macro.

Now, combine this logic with the Asterisk macro facility, and you have a very easy - yet flexible interface. We are also implementing an export/import function within the scripting/menus where you can quickly export all scripts from one server and import them in another. Also if someone writes a very complex, and detailed script that does alot of call logic - they could export the script, post it on the community site for you to download and import into your system. With the import/export functions - you could quickly deploy hundreds of PBXs with a default configuration, potentially saving you 90% of the work per install - and creating a consistent install.