Terry Markovich wrote:
> Darrick Hartman (lists) wrote:
>
>> Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

>>> Kevin,
>>>
>>>   Just about any cards supported by Linux should be supported by
>>> AstLinux.  Due to the generic nature of chipsets it's tough to say
>>> which brands are supported.
>>>
>>>   However, if I were you I'd look out for something Atheros based
>>> (supported by madwifi).
>>>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> Before you put too much effort into this, Astlinux does not implement
>> WPA_supplicant in anyway, so the best encryption (if you call it that)
>> is WEP.  It's something on the list to do, but not near the top yet.  If
>> the encryption is not important, then as Kristian said, the chips
>> supported by madwifi probably would be your best choice.
>>
>> Darrick
>>

> I have built hostapd (0.5.10) for astlinux 1.2, which provides wpa/wpa2
> and works really well.  I built it with madwifi-ng r3349-20080212.
>
> I modified the hostap makefile quite a bit, I'll provide it if anyone is
> interested.
>
> Terry

I was trying to build and use this, but there are various issues.

For instance, the WIFI_ENABLE, WPA_ENABLE, and WPA_KEY variables are
left out of /etc/rc.conf.

Also, the canned /stat/etc/hostapd.conf has the bridge and interface
hard-coded into it.

Also, does it make sense to have $AP0 and $ATH0 *both* set?  Or should
this be either/or?

The links in /etc/runlevels/default/S??hostap are missing, so
/etc/init.d/hostap never gets run.

 From what I can, you also can't have one key set for $AP0, and another
for $AP1, etc.

Is there a reason to not just have:

ATH0="wifi0:ssid:channel:enc-method:enc-key-#:passkey"

for instance?

-Philip