Yah the BIOS has the newest flash I could find. Kinda old (2002)

I also ruled out the CF card by trying a HD, same problem. I also
tried a smaller CF card.

Regardless -- my custom build was SUCCESSFUL! I have a fully starting
0.6 (and it saw my kd and acted appropriately)

Now, I don't know what the factor is here but I did take the default
astlinux.config and gut most of the packages out of it (mostly to
speed up my build time, but I also disable a lot of the things like
the mDNS daemon anyhow, so why bother having it).

I assume the images at http://www.djhsolutions.com/astlinux/ are built
from astlinux.config copied to .config, or is anything else changed?

I do observe that my image, and the 0.5 image, are both the smallest
.run files of all I have tried (23M, 29MB vs 31.4MB, 34MB...) Could
this be a factor? hmm

I can also fill in the boot lines after when I normally pause...
Freeing unused kernel memory: 172k freed
Looking for AstLinux image...
AstLinux image found!

It doesn't even get to printing Looking for AstLinux image. Does
anyone familiar with the code better know what happens at that point
in the process?

Well, as I have time I'm going to add a few packages back in and
hopefully nothing breaks.

Thanks,
- Nick