Unionfs turns the Astlinux RAM-based disk into one with persistent
storage... anything that you write to the disk gets saved onto the CF card
and "replaces" the version that is on the RAM disk.  So all (yes every)
configuration file will survive a reboot.
If you use genunion, you no longer need the USB keydisk.  Everything that
was on the USB KD is now on the CF card (in the same file structure that it
was on the KD). I believe that the genunion script includes instructions on
where to copy your existing KD filed into the new unionfs partition so that
you don't need to recreate everything.

In general you wouldn't explicitly access the CF card by going to the CF
card mount, rather you would access it through the normal filesystem... and
unionfs would read/write from the CF (or the ramdisk) as necessary.
 However, if you want to see exactly what is on the CF card unionfs
partition, then you can go to /oldroot/asturw and you will find it.

Hope this helps

Daivd