AstLinux carries more benefits than just small footprint, so there is no reason why somebody couldn't install it on HDD, or even a large CF card (I've seen them up to 8GB). Even if storage space is a problem, there are ways to manage it (statistics can be kept to a minimum, faxes can be deleted after being forwarded to email etc).

Rob Hillis wrote:
I would have though IAXmodem would be the one that's likely to chew more resources, given the fact that it has to analyse incoming data calls and generate the return tones.  However, for an embedded system HylaFax is the one that is more likely to cause problems - having to store the faxes somewhere, keeping statistics, queuing outgoing faxes and so on.  Fine for a system with a hard drive, not-so-fine for a system running off a CF card.

Niksa Baldun wrote:
David,

I used rxfax for some time and it definitely does not work reliably. Iaxmodem + HylaFax, on the other hand, provide industrial grade reliability. So far, it worked 100% of the time for me.

That being said, it would be great to have everything in one box. HylaFax would have to be included in AstLinux for that, but I am unsure how difficult that would be, or how much resources does HylaFax consume.

David Kerr wrote:
I was really hoping to try and do it all on the one box... detect fax tone and receive it into a tiff using RxFax.  Are you saying that this is either not possible, or unlikely to work?  The Astlinux box is very lightly loaded, just running my home, it is unlikely to be doing anything else while receiving a fax.

Thanks
David