Michael Keuter wrote:

>>  >> anyway, as the whole flash module will need changing.
>>  >
>>  > You have still the possiblity to use an extra USB-Stick for the
>>  > Keydisk (genkd script).
>> I was not aware that it was possible to make the root password sticky
>> using genkd, perhaps I missed something. I understood this needed
>> genunion.  Genunion on a USB-stick was a non starter for me - the
>> USB-stick could not be detected at boot-up. Possibly a timing issue.
>
> No that's the wrong way. Before running genunion
> run genkd /dev/sdÅ  (your USB-Stick).
> Check with "fdisk -l". Reboot then.
> Now run genunion and at the second question say "NO". Reboot again.
>
> http://www.astlinux.org/node/30

Michael, thanks for your post.  I did try the above, on more than one
occasion and with two different platforms, but  after booting no
configuration was sticky. I had an error on bootup to do with detecting
the USB Stick. This was using the 0.6.1 VIA image.

I then reverted to using a second on-board partition and got everything
working nicely, except for concerns about extending the life of the disk.