On Mar 24, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com> wrote:
On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

Yeah, I've seen them before.

Turn off "allowguest" in /etc/asterisk/sip.conf

-Philip

Hummm. Wouldn't that block incoming calls from legitimate sources that are using my e164.org entry to call me? Any such calls are routed to a dial plan that only allows calls to internal extensions so I am not too worried about
toll billing fraud.

And they weren't trying to make calls, they were trying to register (i.e.
become something other than a guest/anonymous caller).

--Tod

Yes.  The concern is not so much people placing calls into the context
you have defined in [general] with allowguest=yes but more so with
people brute forcing your extensions and placing calls to the PSTN...

Several people have been bit by that.  There are various solutions in
Asterisk being considered but the most effective at this point seems
to be filtering and/or strong passwords.  Obviously if you are using
e.164 filtering is not an option for you and strong passwords are your
only defense (as of now).

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org

My passwords are all long alpha-numeric strings, unique to each peer and all are generated by a program I wrote that uses a cryptographically nice pseudo-random number generator. So they ought to be relatively secure.

It does seem that Asterisk does not use any scheme to throttle responses to bad requests (i.e. increasingly delayed responses for each unsuccessful login attempt from an IP address). So an attacker could run through a lot of passwords (or peer IDs) per second and eat up a lot of your bandwidth when they are doing it.

--Tod