Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Martin Rogers
> <fromastlinux-us...@mhr.me.uk> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> To simplify access when traveling I have started to use IAX and Zoiper
>> from a Windows laptop, connecting back to one of my Asterisk boxes over
>> the internet. When this works - it works fine.  However some hotels I
>> stay at seem to lock their firewalls down meaning that even IAX could
>> not be used.
>>
>> I guess there are two options. One is to try and IPSec under the
>> firewall, another is to use a commonly open UDP port. Does anyone know
>> of a UDP port which is likely to be open - I can't think of one.
>>
>> Can anyone provide a guide to configure IPSec on Astlinux and on a
>> Windows machine. This does not look like a quick job.
>>
>> Is there another way of achieving connectivity back to an Asterisk box -
>> presumably someone else has hit this?  I note that Skype is good at
>> burrowing its way out through the firewall, invariably I end up using
>> Skype instead of Asterisk because of this.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>> Mart
>>

> Try OpenVPN or straight IAX2 on port 53 (usually used for DNS).  I
> find it is often left open.

Thanks for the hint.

I have moved IAX2 over to port 53. The obvious bits were setting
bindport=53 in iax.conf, changing the Astlinux firewall to allow UDP 53,
and changing my router to forward UDP 53.

However Zoiper was a bit of a fiddle. Changing the IAX port to 53 in the
Zoiper configuration did not work - the registration failed.  A
Wireshark trace revealed that this configuration field only affected the
source port, the destination port was still using 4569.  Adding a ":53"
to the "Server Hostname IP" configuration field as well, convinced it to
use 53 as the destination port.

It now works OK on a local network, now to try it out on the road.

Mart