I reckon any testing you do should use the same Distribution & Asterisk
config on VM AND Bare metal.

if you feel you need to use Astlinux in the VM, then use it also on bare
metal.
go from there...   otherwise your comparing apples with oranges..
too many potential differences to even consider it being asterisk.

also if your going to test it might I suggest using VMWare Server or ESXi

Jay

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Pirow Engelbrecht <
pirow.engelbre...@ttp.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I'm currently doing some server load testing using the SIPp test suit to
> quantify the effects of running Asterisk natively under the operating system
> versus running under a virtual machine. Using AstLinux 4.8, as virtual
> machine images were available for this version of Astlinux. I'm also using
> VMware's VMplayer to boot and run the virtual machine.
>
> For the Asterisk (non-AstLinux) running natively, the machine can handle
> 200 simultaneous calls to the voice prompt extension with ease (about 55%
> loaded - dual core machine). For the virtual machine AstLinux everything
> works fine up to 44 simultaneous calls to the server (with the server load
> <10%). Adding one additional call (to 45), however results in the server
> dropping calls (server load is still negligible).
>
> 1. First assumption was that VMplayer must have some hard limit on the
> number of incoming connections, but extensive googling failed to produce any
> evidence of this. Is anyone aware of any VMplayer limitations that I might
> be running into?
> 2. Second assumption was that the Asterisk under AstLinux is enforcing call
> limits, but the call limit lines in the config files that I could find were
> commented out. Is anyone aware of any call limits for the AstLinux distro?
> 3. And lastly, I've looked at the iptables rules to see if there are any
> rules defined for incoming connections, but the iptables rules allows
> incoming and outgoing connections without any limitations. Is anyone aware
> of any firewall configuration that might be required for this to work?
>
> Many thanks
> Pirow

Sincerely

Jay