From: Lonnie Abelbeck [mailto:li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:52 AM
To: AstLinux Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] VPN with Cisco PIX

On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:33 AM, David Kerr wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Lonnie Abelbeck <li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Tom Mazzotta wrote:
>
> > 3. Regarding the addressing, astlinux lead me to believe that it
> > supported a dynamic end-point because the default value in the
> local-
> > host ip field is $EXTIP. Is this a legit value, or should I change
> > it to the actual IP used by the WAN i/f, even if it might change in
> > the future? Is it possible that a future version might support at
> > least one dynamic endpoint?
>
> If you are using DHCP for the external interface, then you can't use
> $EXTIP as the local-host value, instead use the actual IP address. (or
> 0.0.0.0 wildcard)
>
> Would it be possible to use a URL and DNS lookup?  For example
> xxxx.dyndns.org that is registered and kept up-to-date with inadyn?
>
> David

No, not with IPsec using 'main' mode, the actual IP address is a part
of the security policy.

Using certificates is a solution, but trunk/0.7 does not support that.

Also a FQDN 'could' be used as an identity, but that requires the use
of 'aggressive' mode which has security issues, so we chose not to
support that.