OK. Finally got the geni586 image written to a card. 8139too is
uncommented by default, so that seems good. However, with no other
changes, the presence of the Beronet card seems to wipe out the
net5501's on-board NICs. Tried changing the order of the modules in
/etc/rc.modules, putting via-rhine (is that the net5501 onboard NIC
driver?) ahead of 8139too, but I still only have eth0, the Beronet.
What next?

Thanks as ever

Tom