This has taken a bit of work. Trying to install a Berofix card into a
net5501 running Astlinux 0.6.7. This is what I've done:

[0. Properly to wipe a CF card which had previously been used with the
net5501 image and UnionFS, used Lonnie's MacOSX script - thanks
Lonnie!]

1. Wrote geni586 image to CF card

2. Booted net5501 WITHOUT BEROFIX

3. Configured filesystem via http://pbx/admin/setup.php, including all
requested reboots

4. Commented 8139too driver out of /etc/rc/modules

5. Created /mnt/kd/rc.elocal, with the line modprobe 8139too

6. Inserted Berofix card and rebooted

7. Added the following lines to /mnt/kd/rc.elocal:

ifconfig eth4 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

8. Reboot

9. Use bfdetect tool (a compiled version of which was posted to this
list by Michael K - thanks!) to make sure the Berofix is set to
10.0.0.2/24 (I think the default might be 10.0.0.2/8), with a gateway
of 10.0.0.1

Notes:

Step 1: Though installed on a net5501, the net5501 0.6.7 Astlinux
build doesn't have the 8139too driver - do I understand it is under
consideration for 0.7?

Steps 4-5: I thought that simply shifting the via-rhine above the
8139too entry in /etc/rc/modules would have worked, but it seemed not
to - if I get the chance, I shall check again - but since I was using
rc.elocal in step 7 as well, this approach seemed fine to me.

Step 7: IP forwarding is required to get the card working properly -
can anyone tell me if enabling it is A Bad Thing in any way? The other
Berofix approach is to use a bridge rather than ip forwarding, but
since I'm not sure this is directly supported in the Astlinux GUI, I
thought I'd try this method first. If I get the chance, I might test
the bridge method, which is the one favoured by Beronet.

Make sure you have a route set up on your workstation (or whatever) so
that requests for 10.0.0.2 will route via the Astlinux box. Point your
browser at http://10.0.0.2, and from here on in, the documentation at
www.berofix.com should do the trick, though I believe there is an
error. When setting up your Asterisk server in the SIP section of the
Berofix GUI, it tells you to give it the address 10.0.0.2, but I
believe this should be 10.0.0.1. I am happy to be corrected in this.

Hope this helps for people, and many, many thanks for all the help in
getting this up and running. I'm sure I'll run into further amateur
problems, and will report back.

Cheers

Tom