>> On 5/17/2010 11:50 AM, Darrick Hartman wrote:
>>
>>> The AstLinux development team is happy to announce the release of 0.7.2.
>>>    This is a bugfix release.  All current AstLinux users are encouraged
>>> to upgrade to this release.
>>>
>>> [snip for brevity]
>>>

>>> New features/updates:
>>>
>>> 1). A plugin for Arno's firewall which allows some capability to prevent
>>> SIP account attacks.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>> On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Dan Ryson wrote:
>>

>> All,
>>
>> Because SIP account attacks are a regular occurrence here, I wish to be
>> certain that I've properly configured feature #1, mentioned above.  I've
>> enabled the IDS Protection plug in, which looked to be new and (according to
>> the log) is occasionally blocking some sort of attack.  I've also not
>> observed any SIP attacks lately so it would seem that the IDS Protection
>> plug in is helping to block SIP account attacks.  However, I hate to assume.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm my presumption or provide instructions on how to utilize
>> this new feature?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight.
>>
>> Dan
> On 6/3/2010 11:41 AM, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
>
> While the IDS Protection plugin may be useful, the new plugin Darrick was
> referring to is the "Adaptive Ban Plugin".
>
> If you have not restarted the firewall (and then upgraded, following the
> prompt) via the web interface, please do... or "upgrade-arno-firewall
> upgrade" from the CLI.  Of course, any changes to the plugins requires a
> restart of the firewall to take effect.
>
> The new Adaptive Ban plugin uses the same technique as fail2ban (
> http://www.fail2ban.org ).
>
> While this technique is proven, our implementation as a plugin to the Arno
> Firewall is new, so users are encouraged to give it a try.  Please report any
> problems... and successes :-)
>
> To show we eat our own cooking, below is my Adaptive Ban plugin setting on my
> production boxes.
>
> Lonnie

Lonnie and Michael,

Thanks for your helpful replies.  I've enabled "Adaptive Ban Plugin",
which was present in the GUI pull-down list but not noticed as new.
Apparently, a new pair of glasses are in order.

Lonnie, thanks also for sharing your plugin settings, which I'm giving a
try.  I'll report any useful observations.

Dan