As an update: when I had originally entered the ADNAME variable in
user.conf, I used "AstLinux PBX". This is the default of a new image. I have
since changed the ADNAME, and on reboot, mdns has remained stable all day.
It seems that it somehow chokes when ADNAME is recreated with the original
default name.

Thanks for all of your help,
   Shamus