If I change buttons on phones I run a generation script that creates new
configs for phones and then also sends the changes on-the-fly to the
phones via the configuration change XML object..  This works great for
buttons, or other preference settings that arent part of the network or
SIP stack...

The way it works..  When a phone registers as an extension I update the
asterisk database with its type, MAC, and IP..  So when it comes time to
regenerate config files I have a reference for all of the above and can
send updates on the fly to the sets..  This makes it as close to a legacy
PBX as possible for the users who donĀ¹t like rebooting phones just because
a speed dial was added or deleted.. The users have acloud based GUI to add
/ delete / change buttons on their sets.. Which then triggers some scripts
on the site asterisk system/  Other settings such as the SIP settings,
phone dialplan, etc are set in the config file and not editable by the
user... Granted we are going beyond astlinux here but ,any of the concepts
apply...
-Christopher