From: Tom Chadwin [mailto:nnpait.servi...@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:28 AM
To: 'AstLinux Users Mailing List'
Subject: [Astlinux-users] Incoming mail/spam

Hello all

As some of you might have gathered, I'm trying to find out whether we can
replace our firewalls with AstLinux. Most features we need probably are
present in Astlinux, with two notable exceptions.

Firstly, our current firewall is a web proxy and filter. I don't think this
role will ever be fulfilled by AstLinux (though AIF's to-do lists it -
http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=arti
cle&id=48&Itemid=79). I am therefore investigating OpenDNS as a potential
filtering route.

However, the one remaining function for which our current firewall is
invaluable is SMTP-level spam protection. We are currently only using two
techniques available on the box (RBL and greylisting, no content scanning at
all), but that is blocking around 45,000 spams a day, and letting in our
approx. 1000 legit emails. These numbers show you how crucial this function
is for us.

I've had a very quick look at Arno's Firewall, and can see no mention of
these features. Is this something anyone has looked at? Or can anyone
suggest an approach which might help us?

Many thanks as always

Tom