From: Lonnie Abelbeck [mailto:li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com]
Sent: 15 June 2012 16:15
To: AstLinux Users Mailing List
Cc: Tom Chadwin
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] Astlinux on VIA Technologies' Neo-ITX

Hi Tom,

I whipped out my hand dandy Kill-A-Watt meter:

1.8 GHz Intel dual core Atom D525 - AC line power of 23 watts (idle).

500 Mhz AMD Geode LX net5501 - AC line power of 9 watts (idle).

Tom, your fleet of net5501's will no doubt be working for you for years to
come. I think Christopher's point is if a person was starting from scratch
today, a dual core Atom system's cost is not much more than a net5501 with a
lot more performance for the future.

Both are "green" in my book.  If a variable speed fan is used on the Atom,
it is very quiet under normal conditions.

Lonnie

On Jun 15, 2012, at 1:51 AM, Tom Chadwin wrote:

> How does the power consumption compare? Silent (ie fanless) and green were
strong elements in my selecting the net5501.

> Tom

with the cf card, it's a problem.

> Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.

whole idea of even using Soekris boards..  although they are ROCK STABLE! in
the field..  at some point I know CompactFlash is going to be EOL'd making
the net5501 close to useless (the SATA on it is not real).  the Net6501 is
Nice but Pricey..  I have installed several Atom Boards in a semi fanless
environment (no Chip fans, but one variable speed case fan)..  I find
variable speed fans have a LONG LIFE in the field assuming the room the
system is in is not 100 degrees or more..  even with one atom system
"Cooked" in a 110 degree switch room it didnt seem to flinch....

> I can build a Jetway NF99FL-525 system with 4 gigs of RAM, 8 GB CF card,
and a 2 slot case for just about the same or slightly more than a Net5501
board, case, power...

> -Christopher

they have a need for a phone system.  You'll be spending more in phones.

> Bottom-line, I don't see us supporting ARM processor in the foreseeable
future.  It is an interesting product though.

> Darrick

appliance servers for small groups that only need to handle a small number
of calls at the same time.

> -Pete
>
> On Jun 12, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Darrick Hartman wrote:
>
> > All of these other cheap devices are interesting, but not very practical
in a business use setting.

servers, Raspberry PI, Beagle, etc) it would seem advantageous to get the
platform ready for ARM...