Shamus,

as it happens I've been playing around with "host" today as well - to get
fax-email working (I wanted mail to go to "fax@luxa").
I found that the trick is, don't worry about what's in /etc/hosts -
Put all the hosts entries (that you would normally want to put into /etc/hosts)
into /mnt/kd/hosts, then reboot and "as if by magic" you'll find these appended
to /etc/hosts and everthing works as you'd expect.

All the Best,

-Graham-