So, thought I would report back on what I did and what I think of it.  I
bought a Gigaset 610 IP and an extra handset (the 610 can handle two
simultaneous VoIP calls) mainly because they were much cheaper than the
Snom units. I like that the base unit is separate from the handset chargers
and as DECT phones they work well. Here are some specific thoughts...

Voice quality is good. I selected G.722 as the default codec, but of course
most connections are downgraded to G.711 so it is largely a moot point for
now.  However I don't think that the microphones in the handsets are up to
capturing high enough quality for G.722.  They also generate "comfort
noise" (a soft background hiss) which I think is against the spirit of high
bandwidth audio, and there is no echo back of your own voice which analog
phones provide (and which my work Avaya SIP phone provides).

Several times when I started using them callers reported that I sounded
faint and would I speak up.  Turns out this is a fairly common complaint of
Gigaset.  Through this I found the Set(VOLUME(RX)=nn) Asterisk dialplan
application, and yes this works. Remarkably well.  So now my Dialplan is
setup to detect when a call is connecting to/from a Gigaset extension and
adjusts the media gain level.  This of course should not be necessary, but
at least Asterisk has the flexibility to cope.

VoIP/SIP configuration options are limited.  Very little flexibility in
creating a Dialplan for example... nothing like I am familiar with from
Sipura/Linksys SPA ATAs. These phones are clearly intended for use in a
consumer/home environment where you may want to connect directly to a VoIP
trunk provider.  They are probably not a good choice for use behind a PBX
if you want any flexibility. For example, there is no way to have the
handset autodial an extension when taken off-hook -- something that is
fairly common for SIP phones behind a PBX.

FYI, while doing all this I started to experiment with Asterisk SLA (Shared
Line Appearance) feature and conclude that this is badly broken.  It may
work in an environment where you are bridging to POTS analog lines, but in
an entirely SIP world it only half works (inbound ok, outbound broken).  I
have two bugs opened up at issues.asterisk.org already and will probably
have more to come if they fix those.  Its a pity, SLA is an interesting
feature particularly in a small office/home environment.  Hopefully Digium
will fix it -- my issues have been assigned to development.

David