I have my dialplan set to receive faxes if it detects the fax tone.  I use
the ReceiveFax() dialplan application which then emails me a PDF file.  I
use it only very very occasionally but it seems to work.  Sending fax is
possible but somehow you have to get the document into TIFF format which is
not easy and so I have not bothered to set that up.  For the few times I
need to fax something reliably I use one of the online email-to-fax
suppliers some of which will let you do the occasional fax free of charge.

Finally, I have a multi-function printer connected to a ATA to my Asterisk
server and it has fax capability.  However it is not at all reliable.  If
all I do is fax to the ReceiveFax() application on my asterisk server then
it works great.  But if I try and fax out over a VoIP provider to a 3rd
party fax machine then all bets are off.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.  Sometimes it claims to have worked (fax status OK) but other
party says it arrived corrupted.  Bottom line... Analog Fax and VoIP do not
mix well.

David