Nick,

Adding those CONFIG_ entries to the end of linux-smp-vm.config might work, if
not the [astlinux-devel] method is to:
----
cd output/build/linux-custom/

cp ../../../project/astlinux/genx86_64/linux-smp-vm.config .config

ARCH=x86_64 make menuconfig
(you don't ARCH if you are using a x86_64 build system)

Make kernel config changes accordingly, and exit and save.

See what has changed
diff -u ../../../project/astlinux/genx86_64/linux-smp-vm.config .config

Looks good, save it
cp .config ../../../project/astlinux/genx86_64/linux-smp-vm.config

(clean rebuild)
rm -rf output
cp x86_64-configs/astlinux-ast11.config .config
(or ast13 if you wish)
sed -i 's/linux-smp.config/linux-smp-vm.config/' .config
./scripts/build genx86_64-vm
----

Let us know your progress.

Lonnie