Hi Cody,

>From John's post your CNET (Collector's Network) is IAX2 based, and he
>explained things well.  Enabling the Adaptive Ban plugin is still useful for
>IAX2 .

You ask a good general question, for most all other situations SIP is used,
here are some security measures that can be used:

1) Using the Adaptive Ban plugin is a great first step.

2) If you had a known list of static IPv4 address that need remote SIP access
use the Firewall sub-tap to "Pass EXT->Local" UDP 5060 for only those IP's.
Don't use Source: 0/0 in this case.

3) If you had a known list of dynamic hostnames that need remote SIP access use
the Firewall DynDNS Host Open plugin to
DYNDNS_HOST_OPEN_UDP="sip1.example.com~5060 sip2.example.com~5060" etc.

4) You can either blacklist or whitelist access by SIP User-Agent strings by
using the Firewall SIP User-Agent plugin.

Keep in mind if your AstLinux box is at the edge (public IPv4 address) and it
is only accessing a SIP trunk upstream by registering (ie. no remote SIP
clients), then the stateful firewall will automatically track the upstream SIP
server connections and *no* SIP related firewall rules need to be added.  If
this is the case none of the security measures 1-4 above are needed for
Asterisk.

Security by obscurity, use SIP TCP/TLS for remote SIP clients, and don't expose
UDP 5060 externally.  If your ISP offers native IPv6, only expose IPv6 SIP
(assuming all SIP clients have native IPv6 access).

Finally, this applies to most every situation, make use of the *.netset
Blocklists, at least firehol_level1 and voipbl are good basic choices which
should not usually cause false-positive blocking.  More info ...

Firewall External Block List
https://doc.astlinux-project.org/userdoc:tt_firewall_external_block_list

Lonnie