From: Lonnie Abelbeck <li...@lonnie.abelbeck.com>
Date: Thursday, 11 April 2019 at 12:34 am
To: AstLinux List <astlinux-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] ACME (Let's Encrypt) Certificates Vs Wildcard SSL
certificates

Hi Michael,

but the way I see it is that we could just purchase a Wildcard SSL certificate
instead of using ACME which seems a bit of a hassle.
Am I correct?

IMO, using automatic ACME certs in AstLinux is the least-hassle approach ...
after the initial setup.

The hassle with a 1-2 year Wildcard SSL cert (other than the cost) is it needs
to be deployed and updated to all the boxes, even if only every 1-2 years.  You
would need to create some sort of CRON script to do that, and probably with
authentication.

If you go through the trouble of creating a Wildcard SSL cert deploy/update
system, you just as well mint your own Let's Encrypt Wildcard Certs at a
central location, at no cost every two months.

You need to weigh the pros/cons for your situation, I use Cloudflare for my
ACME DNS validation, and after many renewals for many boxes using non-wildcard
certs, it just works.

Lonnie

On Apr 10, 2019, at 5:34 AM, Michael Knill <michael.kn...@ipcsolutions.com.au>