I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
after joining the mesh.

When I start the second interface, rtnetlink responds with
device or resource busy.

If you give more details of your steps, people may help you more.
Btw, did you create a 2nd interface on the same radio and change the mac address?

IBSS + AP works on the CT firmware/driver, at least,
but our CT 10.1 (988x) firmware does not support MESH at this point.

I think I had to modify the driver to relax the valid combinations check,
and possibly the stock firmware cannot handle that.

Maybe someday we'll support MESH on 988x, but to date, there has not been
a lot of interest...

http://www.candelatech.com/ath10k.php

Thanks,
Ben