On 09/10/2018 07:37 AM, Fraser Cadger wrote:
Hi,

I am using a device based on the Atheros QCA9882 chipset.

I would like to make use of the simultaneous dual-band functionality
that the device provides. The goal is to have to interfaces with one
acting as
an Access Point (wlan0) and the other acting as a client of another AP
(wlan1). Ideally, both of these interfaces should be operating on
different channels.

These radios can support both bands, but at any given time, they can be on
only a single channel.  You need multiple radios to run on multiple channels.

Thanks,
Ben

As I have understood it, Atheros/Qualcomm market the QCA9882 as being
capable of both dual-band and concurrent operation:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2012/02/23/qualcomm-atheros-launches-80211ac-product-ecosystem-provide-end-end-gigabit

I am using v4.1 of the Linux kernel.

Having experienced some difficulties using hostapd and wpa_supplicant,
I checked the device capabilities using iw. If I am interpreting the
output below correctly, it is only possible to use 1 channel on both
interfaces:

valid interface combinations:
                 * #{ managed, P2P-client } <= 36, #{ P2P-GO } <= 3,
#{ AP } <= 7, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
                   total <= 36, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match

As I understand it, #channels <=1 indicates that only 1 channel may be
used at a particular time by all interfaces.

I am wondering if this is a limitation of the driver, or if there has
been a misunderstanding in the capabilities of the hardware.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Regards,

Fraser

Ben Greear <gree...@candelatech.com>