On 05/10/2019 05:28 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Hmm.

I have a nice new laptop, and it works fine. Except today it lost
wireless, and I have no idea why.

It's not happened before (but it's fairly new and I'm actually on my
first trip with it), so I don't know how common this is, but the
kernel messages seem to say that the cause of it was

  ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: wmi service ready event not received
  ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: could not init core (-110)
  ath10k_pci 0000:02:00.0: could not probe fw (-110)

and then nothing works. -110 is ETIMEDOUT, fwiw.

Rebooting got wireless back. It's possible I could have done something
less drastic, but I was thinking that it would be the new kernel and
rebooted into an older version. But then rebooting into the new one
afterwards (double-checking before starting a bisect) and it all
worked.

Is there anything I can do to debug this if it happens again?

Please provide 'lspci' or other info on the NIC chipset, for reference.

Sometimes a work-around is:

rmmod ath10k_pci ath10k_core; modprobe ath10k_pci

Sometimes you will get a firmware register dump in this crash case, and then
someone
from QCA might can get a backtrace if you post that with the chipset info and
such (or if it is one of the NICs my ath10k-ct firmware supports and you can
reproduce
an issue with that firmware, then I can debug it).

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <gree...@candelatech.com>