On Monday 04 February 2008 13:13:03 Felix Fietkau wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Jan 9, 2008 10:27 PM, bruno randolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> hi!
> >>
> >> manually maintaining the Changes-licensed-under tags for every commit is
> >> boring, so i created the following script which you can paste
> >> into .git/hooks/commit-msg (don't forget to make it executable too) to
> >> automatically add a Changes-licensed-under tag with the same license as
> >> the touched files:
> >
> > This was really cool, thanks! I've added my own, which is a bit
> > different than yours, produces results as those from my latest
> > patches. You can find the script here:
>
> Erm... why exactly do we need the Changes-licensed-under, if
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches contains this bit of information about the
> Developer's Certificate of Origin:
>

> (a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I
>     have the right to submit it under the open source license
>     indicated in the file; or
>
> (b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
>     of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source
>     license and I have the right under that license to submit that
>     work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part
>     by me, under the same open source license (unless I am
>     permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated
>     in the file; or [...]
>
> Note the "under the open source license indicated in the file" and the last
>  part.
>
> Shouldn't this part already make it the default to keep the same license
> that is mentioned in the file?

i also would like to get rid of having to use Changes-licensed-under tags, as
you said it seems unnecessary in most cases.
i guess the problem comes in when the source file is dual licensed (e.g.
BSD/GPL as ath5k/base.c for example) and we are doing it now per SFLC
recommendation to make it explicitly clear. but also in this case i think it
would be safe to assume that the changes have the same license as the source
file (in this case dual).

bruno