On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:43:44AM +0000, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm trying to sort out a problem with the ath5k module not loading on
> a ThinkPad T42.  I'm using the current Debian testing kernel (2.6.26) on
> i686.  Detail of the PCI bus configuration of this machine can be found
> here:

(device is: 168c:1014)

> The Debian developer in charge of handling this suggested contacting you
> for more information.  Can anyone make any suggestions?  Thanks in
> advance for your time and for the great driver (once loaded it works
> fantastically).

The driver uses the PCI device ID as well as the silicon revision
(SREV) and radio revision read from the card.  We've had this PCI id in
since the beginning as far as I can tell.  It would be good to see the
output of the following lines from 'dmesg' when the driver attempts to
load:

    ath5k: registered as 'phy0'
    [any failure messages might show up here]
    ath5k: Atheros ARxxxx chip found (MAC: 0x??, PHY: 0x??)

If you don't see any of the above, then chances are the driver didn't
attempt loading at all.

> Moritz said:
>> Could you forward your mail to the ath5k devs at
>> ath5k-de...@lists.ath5k.org?  If they can provide an isolated 2.6.26
>> backport we can apply it to the 2.6.26-13 kernel upload or add it to
>> a point update later.

compat-wireless might fill this role, but I don't know offhand if it
goes back to 2.6.26.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com