Well, since scanning starts to block the cpu, the bug could be related
to ath5k, but that's not necessarely the case. I'll submit a bug to
bugs.kernel.org
It's completely okay if there is no cache and if the scan takes 5
seconds in that case. It is not okay if it makes the system choppy

Cheers
Benjamin