On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Thiemo Nagel
<thiemo.na...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Generally, I'm getting system freezes sporadically, maybe every couple of
> days.  Since I've dug up one other ath5k-related soft lockup from my logs
> (2.6.32-rc8), to my mind the simplest explanation would be that all the
> other freezes were also due to ath5k.

Probably... I'm trying to track down one of those myself.

> kernels from the 2.6.31 line, therefore I think the described behaviour
> constitutes a regression.

This, however, is a bit of a mystery.  There weren't a lot of changes to
ath5k in 2.6.32.  You can probably bisect them with only a handful of kernel
builds.

The soft lockup trace you posted is useful, however we have rewritten that
code for 2.6.33.  I don't see how with the old code you can wait for 60s,
but there is in ath5k_hw_noise_floor_calibration:

- ath5k_hw_register_timeout() - which can spin for 1/3s (or more if udelay
is broken)
- the calibration loop, which takes at least 1 ms and up to 20ms.

Together that's about half a second in the worst case, which is bad, but
I can't yet see any way for counters to go negative or interrupt storms
to re-trigger the tasklet or anything like that to make it take 60s.

You might try latest wireless-testing to see if the rewritten code helps.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com