On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 10:10:49AM +0900, Bruno Randolf wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 18:42:38 Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > If we want to have an option to prevent hardware from touching the frame
> > payload, that really should be an option (a radiotap and TX control
> > flags, etc.), not default functionality for monitor interface.

> yes, we use it for testing IBSS mode (merging, TSF updates) by injecting
> custom beacons. i guess other packet injectors would also assume that their
> packets go out untouched.

Like I said, not all packet injectors do and hostapd certainly depends
on the injected packet being updated (both for contents and for
selecting a suitable TX rate and also to encrypt the frame when a key is
set for this).

> so what would be a way to support that properly?
> what about a monitor mode flag?

My preference is shown in the quoted text above, i.e., a new radiotap
(per packet, not per monitor interface) flag and then internally in
mac80211--driver a new TX control flag to indicate that the frame is not
to be updated.